Friday, August 23, 2013

Faith-filled Friday: Trying new things

Good morning Crushers!

I am so excited for this weekend! Tonight, my brother, sister-in-law, sister and brother-in-law are going to the Packer pre-season game. That means I get to watch the game on a big(er than our TV) screen from the comfort of my parents' couch while playing with my nephew, Patrick. I know that all babies/children are cute and that I'm beyond biased, but Patrick is the CUTEST kid ever! You know, until our next niece and/or nephew arrives (I have a sister-in-law on both sides due to have a new kiddo due this fall). Can't wait for fun playground times and teaching him to raise his arms and yell, "Touchdown!"

Another fun thing this weekend, is my friend, Hannah's, first race! We are going to do a 5K together. She has trained for it, so I fully expect her to rock this race and have a great time. Plus, we're going out to brunch afterward, so there's always good food to share!

Besides being very excited about football season and new races, this fall has a whole new set of opportunities for me. I was asked to be an adjunct professor to teach a public relations class at my alma mater. Go Warriors! I'm thrilled to be asked, and even happier to get this chance to teach. As I may have mentioned in the past, I taught Sunday School, so I have some experience being in front of a classroom. Granted, the college students are much more likely to have their fine motor skills down, but at least I'm hoping for eager learners.

You may think that teaching preschoolers in Sunday School to be much easier than college students, and it might be, but you try wrangling 15 4-year-olds and get projects done with crayons and stickers and finger plays and songs in an hour and see how you feel. You are lucky to get out of there with only one random sticker on your pants! HA!

Anyway, all of these new opportunities made me think of a picture that I got as a graduation present from my fellow student senators. It's a beautiful picture of a path in the woods with the light barely filtering through the trees. Underneath this photo are the words:
The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD; And He delights in his way
- Ps. 37:23
I will admit that when an out-of-the-blue opportunity or a new life situation hits me, I do a momentary freak out. Then I remember that God's got this. He does. I may not have it together, but He does. He knows what path He's sending me on and if I'm going to hit a pothole or smoothly continue on my way. I'm going to try and exude confidence in that passage from Psalms as I stand in front of 28-or-so students this fall and try to teach them everything they need to know. Which I won't be able to because there are some things they're just going to have to figure out for themselves.

I should probably remember that for someday when I become a parent.

Anyway, I hope you all get to take a moment today and think about your path and how it all led to just where you're supposed to be. If you're confused as to how you got where you are or if you're in a tough spot, just remember that the road doesn't stop. Maybe there's a U-turn or a detour ahead?


No comments:

Post a Comment