Friday, May 15, 2015

Faith-Filled Friday: I'm here.

Hello Crushers!

Today's Faith-Filled Friday comes to you thanks to Steve and Ellie. Ellie is at the age where she wants to explore things on her own and doesn't always need me nearby. It is funny to see how she flips almost every toy or book or whatever is in her hands upside down. This is especially "charming" when it's a plate of food or cup of water. Regardless of the mess it makes, you can see her learning about texture, weight, size, colors, and yes, gravity.

There are times where she may be flipping a toy over and over, but she stops and looks for me as if to say, "Hey Mama, look how neat this is!" She's just checking in although growing her independence.

Then there are the moments when she either realizes that I'm not right there at her side or when stranger danger kicks in, and she cries out looking for me or Steve. That's what inspired this post.

On Thursday night, Steve and I were cleaning up dinner dishes while Ellie was in the middle of our living room. We could see her looking at books and testing out her ability to scoot backwards. All of a sudden, she cried out in distress. I don't know if it was because she was stuck or just weirded out by her new-found mobility (heaven help us). Steve responded by saying, "It's OK. I'm here."

It made me think of how many times I've said these four little words. Those two tiny sentences make such a difference to her whether it's the middle of the night or while she's playing or being held by a friend of ours that we don't see often. I'm here, sweet girl.

All of these things shows that she is learning about her world around her. It is heartwarming to know that while she explores, she still needs us. She has along way to go before she is truly independent. It is also wonderful to know that when she is upset, our presence comforts her like some parental superpower.
And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age. - Matthew 28:20 
God assures us of this same thing. He truly has that superpower. He's here with us. He came to Earth once as a man. He lived among us, died for us, and rose again for us. He's with us in spirit. He's waiting for us in Heaven. What a comforting thought!

Can't you hear him? "It's OK. I'm here."

Wouldn't it be great if we stopped what we were doing during good moments to check in with God as if to say "Hey, look how neat this is! Thanks for creating such a beautiful world." Wouldn't it be great to turn to God first in those other moments when we feel lost or afraid? He'll always answer.

"It's OK. I'm here."

Please join me in checking in with God more often. It's OK. He's there.

No comments:

Post a Comment