Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Call it like it is - Apple Spice Muffins

OK, so the Packers lost by one point last night to the Seattle Seahawks in the weirdest and very upsetting way: an interception called a touchdown although it clearly wasn't. While this all could have been avoided if the Packers had just scored a touchdown or two in the first half, it was still a really bad ruling on the field that no one understood (especially the two refs in the end zone that alternatively called it a touchback and a touchdown). Just call it like it is, refs!

For those of you out there who consider yourself a fan and a citizen of Packer Nation and you had access to Twitter or Facebook or, you know, a TV last night, you can understand that this is just the tip of the iceberg of many problems with this year's NFL season. It's rough. But you know what's worse? This is just a game, and there are worse things in life than a bad call. I know about 10-11 people who have some form of cancer right now. I know a number of people who are going through a rough patch financially. I know there are people facing depression, death, destruction and war. I know that there are starving people around the world and in my own city. Life isn't fair, but your fantasy football team will probably be OK by next week. Let's all have a little perspective here and make the right call to not let this affect our day.

(Stepping off my soap box and putting it away)

OK, so back to the intended use of this blog: talking about FOOD!!! I find it very relaxing and fun to cook and bake. I also like to bake when I'm upset because somehow whipping eggs or beating batter makes me feel less like yelling at the TV or whoever... So during last night's game, I made cookies and what another blogger (who shall remain nameless because I like most of her stuff) called baked donut holes. WRONG! These were basically cinnamon and sugar-coated mini muffins. Just call it like it is, people.

Here is the recipe that I used, except that I used apple pie spice instead of cinnamon (I didn't have enough cinnamon), and I used regular muffin tins because I still have yet to buy a mini muffin tin. I have my eye on this one.

Apple Spice Muffins
Ingredients:
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2/3 cup milk (I used 1%)
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3-4 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon apple pie spice

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Mix oil and sugar; beat in egg. Add vanilla and milk, and stir until combined.
Mix flour, baking powder, and salt together. Add to wet ingredients and stir gently, just until combined. (a few lumps should remain).
Either line muffin tins with paper cups or grease them if they aren't non-stick. Fill muffin tins 2/3 full with batter. Bake for 15-17 minutes.
Combine sugar and cinnamon. Dip each muffin into the melted butter and then roll in the cinnamon sugar.

Don't they look delicious?
I had leftover sugar so I mixed it with the leftover butter and poured a little on top of each.
NOTE: I don't know if it's because I failed to use a mini muffin tin as the original blogger did or what, but mine did not taste as moist as all the commenters on the other blog claimed. I'm not sure what happened there. I think they would have been better if I added a cup of pumpkin or a mashed banana for more moisture. However, they go pretty well with my morning cup of coffee.

NOTE #2: I'm not going to post the chocolate chip cookie recipe because you can buy a bag of chocolate chips and follow the recipe just like I did! The only tip I have for you is to let the dough cool in the fridge for an hour or so after you mix it all together. Then after it has become firm, roll/mold it into a loaf just like the cookie dough you can buy in a tube. You can slice it with a sharp knife and place the (almost) perfectly round dough portions on your cookie sheet to bake. The cookies bake nice and evenly!

No comments:

Post a Comment