Monday, December 9, 2013

Virtual Running Date No. 34: Easy Cherry Chocolate Cake

Good morning, Crushers!
I don't know about you, but we got a LOT of snow in Southeastern Wisconsin yesterday. It started at about 9 a.m. and just kept going until late last night.

Sorry, I took this picture through a screen window. Whoops!
This picture was taken at about 11 a.m. It got snowier and snowier!

If we were on a virtual running date, I would like to point out that you really need to bundle up and be careful. I've seen a ton of people just wipe out while walking. No need to break bones while running. Here is a handy link for how to layer-up while running in winter.

If we were on a virtual running date, I would confess that I did not run this weekend. Unless you count running errands, then I totally did that. I also ran around the house chasing my niece and nephew while we baby sat. I needed to bake a cake for my church's annual Advent by Candlelight program, so they were my little sous chefs while baking this snowflake cake:
Tip: After frosting your cake, cut out any shape in regular paper and lay it gently on top.
Sprinkle powdered sugar over the top with a sifter and you'll get a pretty shape!

Here is the recipe that Ben, Katie and I followed to make this easy cake.

Easy Cherry Chocolate Cake:
Ingredients:
1 box of your favorite chocolate cake mix
3 eggs (you may need a spare egg or two on hand if you are cooking with 6-year-olds!)
1 can of cherry pie filling

Directions:
Mix the cake mix, eggs and pie filling in a large bowl. (Feel free to allow the children helping you to take turns stirring the batter once you've gotten in a few stirs so that the flour part doesn't go flying.) Pour batter into greased pans - the pan size is up to you! Follow the baking time/directions on the cake box. Generally, it's 350 degrees for about 30-35 minutes. Stick a toothpick or fork in the cake when the timer goes off. If it comes out clean, the cake is done. Otherwise, give it a few more minutes.

Serving suggestions:
1. Use a 13x9 pan and top with Cool Whip.
2. Use two 8-inch round pans and put chocolate fudge frosting in the middle and on top (that's what I did)
3. Top the cake with fresh cherries!
4. Use whatever flavor pie filling that sounds good. I've made this with cherry and raspberry. I think you can use a vanilla cake mix too, but the chocolate tastes the best.

Enjoy and stay safe out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment