Friday, April 24, 2015

Mexican Lentil Soup

Hello Crushers!

Last night I did not have time or the energy to post this great soup I made. I totally winged it, and it worked. OK, that's not entirely true. I looked up several recipes, and based on those I decided to wing it because:

  1. I did not have all the ingredients
  2. I did not have time to go and get the extra ingredients
  3. Necessity is the motherhood of invention, or something like that...
Anyway, it turned out really well!

Mexican Lentil Soup
Ingredients:
2 Tbsp Garlic Grapeseed Oil from Wildtree
1 cup onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
3 carrots, peeled and diced (about a cup)
1 pound lentils, rinsed (and sorted for weird bits)
1/2 cup medium salsa
2 quarts veggie or chicken broth
1 Tbsp Wildtree Taco Seasoning
1 heaping tsp Rancher Steak Rub

For more heat, add more taco seasoning and 2-3 crushed garlic cloves.

Directions:
Heat the oil in a big pot. When it starts to shimmer, add the onion, pepper and carrots. Cook for about 6-7 minutes until the onions are translucent and the peppers and carrots have softened. 

Add in the other ingredients and stir. Bring it to a gentle boil. Turn down the temperature to a simmer, put the lid on, and cook for about 35 minutes.

If you are lucky enough to have an immersion blender, use it to make a nice smooth soup. A few chunks are OK. 

If you aren't lucky enough to have one, use your regular blender and just make a lot more dishes dirty (which is what I had to do).

Once it's all finished, I suggest serving it with quesadillas, avocado, tortilla chips and/or some sour cream. Really, garnishing is up to you. You could also add some nice chopped cilantro, but we didn't have any (remember #1 up there?).

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment