Friday, January 11, 2013

Meatless Monday options

Good morning, Crushers!

I know that today is Friday, but a friend and I were talking about "Meatless Mondays" as a way to try more veggie-ful and (usually) less expensive meal options. We are very cost-conscious about our grocery bill, but we don't want to sacrifice trying new foods and flavors either. And, obviously, I love to cook, so we don't buy too many pre-packaged meals. At times, eating whole foods can get a little expensive. Not to say I don't love tossing a bag of french fries in the oven or enjoying a frozen pizza now and then!

Anyway, Erie (the aforementioned friend) and I decided to brainstorm some meatless options. Here they are in no particular order:
  • Bean and Rice burrito
  • Bean and Veggie tacos
  • Huevos Rancheros (egg dish)
  • Breakfast for dinner: eggs, omelets, quiche, frittata, pancakes, biscuits and gravy (with beans instead of sausage)
  • Stir fry/fried rice with egg and/or beans
  • Vegetarian Lasagna
  • Bean Soup
  • Meatless Chili
  • Loaded Baked Potatoes (use some of that chili!)
  • Grilled veggie sandwiches
  • Grilled mushrooms burgers
  • Black bean burgers
  • Homemade pizza with veggies
What do you think? What am I missing? What should we try first?

I got a wok for my birthday, so I'm thinking stir fry, but breakfast for dinner is calling my name!

3 comments:

  1. So this doesn't really relate to any of your suggestions on meatless Mondays, but I thought of it and wanted to ask you....Do you have any creative recipes for leftovers? or have you tried any recipes that have been a 2 for 1...(think Sandra Lee and her round two recipes!)? I would love to see a post on how you get creative with leftovers...Dave and I always seem to have them but other than reheating...we aren't sure what to do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Challenge accepted! Now all I have to do is get some leftovers... I have a very hungry husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahah!! I used to not have that problem and now suddenly I do :P

      Delete