Friday, May 3, 2013

Faith-filled Friday and cheater salsa

Good morning crushers!

You know that when you go to Christian weddings that the minister/pastor/priest will usually mention 1 Corinthians 13 starting at verse 4. You know these verses. You've heard them a million times.

"Love is patient. Love is kind..."

I blessed with a tremendously patient husband who puts love into action every day for his students, for his family and for his friends, and he even agreed with me to use these verses in our wedding! (Brandon Heath's song "Love Never Fails" was also our first dance song. Yes, I may have overdone it a bit, but I'm good with themes). Whenever I am having a moment where I want to stomp my feet or be frustrated because something doesn't go my way, I have to remember to act in love. That means being patient and being kind and being all those things that reflect the amazing love we have been given.

There are so many more references to how you should act in love toward each other and all that encompasses. So when things aren't going exactly how I would like or when we have another rainy day or have another person not show up to come see our house that's up for sale, I have to remember to be patient and act in love. How about you? Any reminders that help you? Share them in the comments!

Speaking of things we love, I'm really jumping tracks here and am going to share with you about "cheater" recipes and how I love them. "Cheater" recipes usually involve little to no work, but at least you're not opening a jar and dumping it in a bowl and claiming that it's yours. Not that there's anything wrong with using prepared food when you need to, but these recipes usually call for a little stirring or measuring. I recently read a few blog posts from some of my favorite fit foodie bloggers and everyone has been talking about dip and chips or veggies.

Other than guacamole, I have two favorite dips: dill dip and salsa. I could easily skip a well-balanced dinner and just eat tortilla chips and salsa or carrots and dill dip until I'm full. It may have happened once or twice in the past. Maybe... Anyway, here is my Cheater Salsa recipe for those times when you have to make a quick appetizer (or lazy dinner).

Cheater Salsa
Ingredients:
1 can of Rotel diced tomatoes with chiles (I like Rotel, but you could use whatever brand you like)
1 can of black beans, rinsed
1 can of corn, drained (I like the low sodium kind)
Optional:
the juice of one lemon
1 clove of garlic, finely diced or put in a garlic press

Gear you'll need:
a medium sized bowl, can opener, garlic press

Directions:
Open all the cans. Drain the beans and the corn. Rinse the beans. Dump all of the beans, corn and tomatoes in a bowl. Stir. If you want to add the lemon, just watch out for the seeds! You can also press a clove of garlic over the bowl and stir it in. Eat with chips. Or a spoon. Or your fingers. I won't judge you.

Enjoy your weekend and some salsa!

No comments:

Post a Comment