Friday, July 19, 2013

Faith-filled Fridays: Answers and grilled fruit

Good morning, Crushers!

I love to know how things work. If I don't know, I will look it up. I could spend hours on the Internet researching how things work or what to do if they don't. I think that's one of the reasons I like to cook so much. I want the answers on how to make tasty food. How did they do that? I need answers! Especially about grilling fruit. Mine always falls apart. I digress...

I do not have all the answers. No one does, and that's OK. However, there are times where you have to be able to provide an answer. "No" or silence are acceptable answers in some cases. I remember some college classmate of mine who posed the question, "What about when God doesn't answer your prayers?" The professor answered, "It's not that He doesn't answer you, it's just that 'no' or 'wait' is an answer." Light bulb moment!

I recently had a few people tell me about how they had gotten into discussions about their faith, whether they wanted to or not. I think a lot of times people do not want to have to defend themselves and would prefer not to answer by changing the subject or avoiding the topic. But those moments do pop up. In 1 Peter 3:15, Peter is writing about suffering for doing good and talking about what happens when you are confronted by people who are mean and who want you to squirm. He says: "But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect".

It's hard. It really is. Often times the people that confront you are not prepared to listen because they think that they already have the answers or are ready with their next statement. Some times they do it to make fun of you. Those are the worst because that no matter what you say, it won't help. 

Paul took time in his letter to the Colossian people in chapter 4 verses 2-6 saying "Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should. Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone."

Maybe add that to your prayers? Pray that when the occasion rises, you can meet it with the right words. I know that I'm focusing on "the attack", but there are going to be times when you can also show your faith and love to people who are struggling or grieving. They may look to you for why you aren't afraid or aren't despairing. You have faith and hope in Jesus!

Let's all pray that we can be more like Peter in Matthew 16 when Jesus asked him "Who do you say I am?" Let us all be able to answer clearly, "You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God."

Have a great weekend everyone! And seriously, if you have good tips on grilling fruit, let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment