Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Salad Experiment Results

Hey Crushers,
This salad experiment worked REALLY well. I just took the lid off of the container, put a bowl upside down on top of the container and flipped it so that the greens went to the bottom of the bowl and the veggie toppings and dressing were on the top.
Before: here is the salad that I made at about 8 p.m. on Sunday night.
The greens stayed away from the dressing which kept them from going limp and soggy. The tomatoes, peppers and olives got nicely marinated, and did their jobs keeping the dressing from the greens. Overall, I'd say this was a success and will probably make my lunch salads like this from now on.
After: being in a container overnight, the salad was still fresh at lunchtime on Monday!
I wonder how this would work for a taco salad... Good thing we're having tacos tonight and I can report back later. UPDATE: We didn't have any taco leftovers, so I can't report on how this worked. I'm still thinking it would have been awesome.

In other news, one of my co-workers is out of town this week, so I'm getting her crop share as part of our office's community supported agriculture project with the Wellness Committee. I'm not signed up since we have our own booming garden, but I am really excited to see what veggie goodness we're going to get! I hear green beans, cabbage and carrots are part of this week's share.

Steve and I will be celebrating our one year anniversary on July 28. I can't believe how fast the year has gone, but time flies when you're having fun, right? I'll do a little photo recap that day. Plus, I've got something up my sleeve to surprise him with on our anniversary. Since he reads the blog, I can't tell you now, but rest assured that he'll be surprised this weekend. Muwahahaha!

FYI - the top tier of our wedding cake has already been eaten. You see, in January we noticed that the cake was starting to look a little wonky in the freezer and we weren't sure how tasty it would be come July. Instead of waiting, we decided to celebrate our "half" anniversary and ate the cake. So good, but slightly freezer-burnt. In order to keep tradition (sort of), I ordered a dozen cupcakes from our bakery in the same flavors. Yum.

Last piece of news: I ran into one of the kids that I went to grade school with last night. Small world, right? Anyway, his sister Beth is due to have her first baby any day now. About a week ago, doctors discovered her husband, Brandon, had a brain aneurysm. He survived, thankfully, but is in VERY serious condition at a local hospital. Please include Brandon and Beth in your prayers. They need them!

1 comment: