Friday, September 6, 2013

Faith-filled Friday: If you can't say something nice...


Good morning, Crushers!

Sorry I've been quiet this week, but it was a BUSY week of classes, practices, school starting for Steve, work and tons of other things. I have never been a person that has trouble filling her time, but I think my expertise is now just showing off. Need to cut back on a few things, me thinks.

Have you ever heard of the term, "Hangry"? It means that you're angry and irritable because you're hungry. I may or may not have experienced this once in a while. I may have said things to people out of "hanger". I usually apologize right away.

This week, despite falling asleep every night by 9 p.m., I feel like someone needs to come up with the word for tired/worn out and angry. Tiggry? Wongry? I can't think of one, but I'm sure someone out there will be super creative. I may have snapped at someone yesterday on the phone when they asked a really dumb question (yes, there are, on occasion, stupid questions).

While it is totally acceptable to feel overwhelmed, tired, energy-less and a bit snippy, it's NOT ok to act on those feelings. You'll never know when you snap on someone if that breaks their day. Even at your lowest point, I beg you to remember that you do not know what is going on in another person's life. You do not know what kind of battles they are fighting. Please remember to choose to speak with kindness!

Proverbs 15:1 says, "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger."

It's true. One word or phrase spoken out of anger can hurt another person. Words can hurt. I'm not writing this today because someone hurt me. I'm writing this because I'm afraid I was mean to someone else. I'm not a mean person, but they don't know that. They only met me once, via phone, and I snapped at them.

Ugh.

Let's all take some time today to look at our schedules, check our words and use our ears to listen instead of our mouths to say sharp words.

No comments:

Post a Comment