Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Never Forget

Today is the anniversary of the attacks Americans suffered at the hands of terrorists on September 11, 2001. I feel like every generation has that "I'll always remember where I was when..." For my grandparents, that moment was when Pearl Harbor was bombed. For my parents, it was when JFK was shot. For some of my older friends, it was when the Space Shuttle Challenger blew up. For me and people my age, it was when the towers were hit. I don't even want to think about what the next generation will deal with.

I know I'll never forget hearing the news and seeing the second plane. Many people say how they thought that they were watching a movie. Some people couldn't bear to watch the news and some people couldn't break away. Living in Wisconsin, we're removed from New York, Pennsylvania and Washington D.C. in miles, but not in our hearts. Everyone knew someone who lived there, who worked there or who just visited.

I was walking into my second hour AP Literature class when a fellow student, Carl, walked right past the teacher saying that he had to turn on the TV. Just as he turned it on, much to her dismay, the second tower was hit. The whole class fell silent. The teacher stopped scolding Carl, and instead she laid a hand on his shoulder in comfort and disbelief. Not everyone was sure of what they were seeing. However, we quickly learned.

There's no recipe today. There's no kitchen crush to talk about. Yes, regular life goes on, and I will be cooking and preparing a post for tomorrow, but just for today, there's nothing by a day of remembrance, prayer, and thankfulness to all who have gone before and who serve our country today.

No comments:

Post a Comment