Friday, February 28, 2014

Faith-filled Friday and Freezer Prep

Good morning Crushers,

Last night I had a "nesting" attack. However, instead of decorating and organizing (been there, done that), it was food preparation. You see, a number of our local grocery stores had good sales going on for meat. I'm kind of picky about what we buy and how much and what the cost is. If it's going to fill our stomachs, I want it to taste good and be good. Granted, I am not a 100% organically fed, free-range, those chickens live better than I do kind of person, but I do want things to be healthy.

My level of pickiness is NOWHERE near the level of God's when it came to Passover as described in Exodus 12. The first 11 passages describe how you pick out an animal (specifically a male lamb), how you cook it (roasted, not boiled), what to do with leftovers (share some with your neighbors if you can't eat a whole one and then burn the leftovers) and even how you eat it:
This is how you are to eat it: with your cloak tucked into your belt, your sandals on your feet and your staff in your hand. Eat it in haste; it is the Lord’s Passover. - Exodus 12:11
That's the most specific meal preparation I've ever read in the Bible. Obviously, it trumps my mom's holiday food prep or even good ol' Martha Stewart. This was meant as a sign to save the people of Israel from the final of the 10 plagues.

As Christians, we don't celebrate Passover. Instead we use Lent as a time to prepare our hearts and minds for Holy Week and a huge celebration at Easter. It's not all ashes and fish fries. It's a time for reflection and Bible study. Hopefully, you can take some time during March to get ready for Easter in April. Mine just happens to coincide with baby prep!

Part of our food prep between now and baby is stocking the freezer. Here is what I bought last night:
  • 1 6-lb pork butt roast (bone in) - I divided this in two 3 lb portions for a roast and pulled pork.
  • 1 3-lb package of chicken breasts - I sliced all the breasts in half or thirds and divided in two freezer bags
  • 1 package of chicken thighs (10 thighs) - I trimmed them all and divided in two freezer bags
  • 1 package of thin-sliced boneless pork chops - I divided them in two packages and seasoned one bag with Wildtree adobo seasoning and one with Wildtree garlic galore seasoning
  • 1 3lb pork roast (no bone) - I left this as is thinking that this would make a good crock pot meal or I could thaw it and slice it up for sandwiches.
After all the slicing, chopping, and butchering, I was pooped. I was supposed to make a meal for a friend who just had a baby, but you know what? She'll understand. She was me about a month ago (her baby was 2 weeks early). I will make her a lovely salad and bring her some soup-in-bag mixes. Healthy-ish and filling!

No comments:

Post a Comment