Monday, February 24, 2014

Virtual Running Date No. 43: Spoiler alert - Downton Abbey!

Hello Crushers!

Sorry for being so absent this past week, but it was a very busy week!

If this were a virtual running date, I would tell you about how Steve and I went to the Wauwatosa Woman's Club because they had a "bring a guest" event to see a guy perform as if you were having dinner with Winston Churchill. This guy was amazing in his portrayal and I can't believe how knowledge able he was!

The menu was not very British, but that's OK since Churchill seemed to spend a good amount of time in America between war efforts and his own travels. The menu included garden salads, beef tips, wild rice stuffed chicken breasts, 4 different kinds of potatoes, green beans, carrots, and pie and ice cream for dessert. It was delicious!

If we were on a virtual running date, I would confess that we went up to the Dells, again. I did not do much shopping, but I am totally going to buy this purse the moment I have a chance:

LINK
I know that buying it in plain black would be more versatile and I could use it all year long, but the stripes! And the coral bottom! And the cuteness! AH!

Anyway, as I said we went up to The Dells again so that Steve and the guys and gals (who didn't have kids along) went skiing while the rest of us took the little kids to the water park. It was a weekend filled with late nights, games, lots of laughing (and cocktails for the non-pregnant folks), and wonderful food. We each took a different meal and made food to feed 11 adults and 6 children of various ages (14 months to 5 years old). Here is what we did:

Dinner on Friday - on your own
Breakfast on Saturday - Jamie made French toast and sliced fruit
Lunch on Saturday - Adam and Erin L. brought all the fixings for a make-your-own sandwich bar with veggies, fruit, and chips/snacks
Dinner on Saturday - 1-2-3 Lasagna, garlic bread, salad and cookies and brownies for dessert (my sister-in-law made a vegetarian lasagna and she brought the bread and brownies)
Breakfast on Sunday - Adam O. made hash browns while Steve and I made blueberry pancakes and scrambled eggs. I also baked bacon for everyone. It was so easy and didn't require us to have another thing going on the stove top.

If this were a virtual running date and you hadn't watched Season 4 of Downton Abbey (DA) or the finale, I would tell you to stop reading right now. I LOVE this show and was glad that I got home in time to watch it. Sometimes PBS really has the best programs on. OK, now if you haven't seen it, you've all gone off to other blogs or work or e-mail, right? Good. Now, for the DA conversation...

My friend Courtney said that she did watch it, but was underwhelmed by the story line all season long. Granted, last season was a sob fest between Sybil dying, the house being in mourning and then Matthew's season finale fatal car accident. UGH! So many tears! This season only had me crying once for Anna when she was attacked. The "downstairs" crew had a much better season than the upstairs family. Upstairs had too much "will we save the estate with pig farming?" and "Is Mary allowed to smile or laugh?" and "Poor Edith" and "It's the jazz age!" Also, Shirley MacLaine's season finale appearance was kind of blah. And seriously, Lady Mary? "I don't mind lying." vs. "I can't lie to save Bates." attitude stunk. Pick one! Either you're going to put your big girl tiara on or you're not.

Downstairs had much more realness to it between Alfred's new position at the Ritz, Bates and Anna's relationship, and Mrs. Hughes as the keeper of all secrets. Mrs. Patmore's one-liners rivaled Lady Violet's and Isabel's banter! Bates' did-he-didn't-he intrigue and his other many talents for forgery and pick-pocketing came in quite handy as the Crawley's tried to salvage the Prince of Wales' reputation. The drama (Bates and Anna and Baxter vs. Barrow), the characters maturing (Daisy and Alfred), Mrs. Hughes being all tough and Carsen loosening up a bit. So much more interesting!

Agree with me? Disagree with me? Try and talk me out of buying the coral and striped bag? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment