Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Onion Goodness

According to the fabulous Julia Child on The French Chef, which I watched just two weeks ago and started this whole onion craze, onion soup is just soup without the crouton and cheese until you gratiné it. Then it becomes the delicious cheese-covered dish that we all recognize. To gratiné something is a French term meaning to cook something au gratin or cook covered with bread crumbs or grated cheese and browned. You have to do that in a broiler.

I was thisclose to buying ramekins at the store last night, but I didn't because I'm fortunate that my sister bought me dishes that are oven safe! I've had these dishes for about 6-7 years now and have never put them in the oven once. First time for everything, right?

When I looked up Julia Child's French Onion Soup, I discovered that it was over 700 calories per serving. Well that just isn't going to happen. I'm right up there in my love for butter with Julia and Paula, but that's a lot of calories in one serving of soup! This lead me to Gina at Skinnytaste.com, who has a great alternative for half the calories. I can't wait to try this, but because of our schedules it won't happen until Thursday at the earliest.

CANNOT WAIT!

No comments:

Post a Comment