Monday, October 22, 2012

Pulled Pork and Prayers

This weekend was a blur as most weekends are for the two of us. We generally have packed weekends spent with friends, family and football. This weekend was no different. 

Friday night, I was at book club at church (we read the Kitchen House - one book covered two book clubs!) and my husband was scouting a game for the high school playoffs. After book club, I went home to make the dough and filling for my cookie contest entry. Somehow, I broke two hand mixers in the process. You heard that right, I broke TWO hand mixers.

The dough is kind of tough, so after simply plugging in my hand mixer, I heard a pop and then nothing. Not even a whir. I think it gave up. The second hand mixer was my husbands mixer from before we got married. I have no idea how old this thing is, but it was kind of tiny. It gave a valiant effort until it started smelling like melted plastic and there was smoke. SMOKE! This is when my husband came home and asked if it was really necessary to break small kitchen appliances just so we could go shopping. Then after he stopped laughing over the fact that this was the second mixer I busted in one night, he said, "You've got to put that in the blog!" So, here it is.

Hi, my name is Jen, and I'm a hand mixer menace.

Fortunately, everyone on Facebook was really nice about it and even let me know that you can get those awesome (expensive!) KitchenAid (R) stand mixers for a pretty good deal on their outlet website! If I can't beat the online price with some Black Friday shopping or with coupons and Kohl's cash, then I'm definitely ordering it online. Whoo hoo!


Saturday, after a nice 4-mile run with a good friend, the two of us spent some time doing one last sweep over the house before we had friends over from my college. Although we did not go to the same college, we see at least one football game at each school every year. He is a UW-Whitewater grad (and former nose tackle), and I am a Wisconsin Lutheran College grad. It's nice to live close enough to both schools to see the games!

With 10 adults, two toddlers and two babies, I wanted to have a dinner that was easy and something that everyone would enjoy. That leads to BBQ pulled pork! This is the second easiest recipe in the world thanks to store-bought sauce and a slow cooker. We have all been a part of church potluck dinners in the past, and we're all pretty good cooks, so here's what we ate:

  • BBQ Pulled Pork on bakery rolls
  • Pasta salad with Italian dressing, olives and tomatoes
  • Steakhouse potato salad
  • Chips and dip and salsa
  • Cut veggies
  • Chex (R) Mix - pumpkin and regular
  • Carmelita bars
  • Chocolate chip cookie bars
We had plenty to eat and everyone who wanted them went home with leftovers!

BBQ Pulled Pork in a Slow Cooker
Ingredients:
  • 1 3-4 lb. Pork roast (shoulder, butt, whatever is on sale is fine because you will cook it to tender goodness)
  • 1 18 oz. bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce. Our house happens to love Sweet Baby Ray's. My favorites are the Hickory and Brown Sugar or Original recipes.
  • 1 large onion
  • 1 oz. whiskey (I prefer Southern Comfort or Jack Daniels)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
Slice the onion and place the pieces at the bottom of the slow cooker. Pour the whiskey (one standard shot glass will do) over the onions. Place the roast (trim off fat) on top of the onions and whiskey. Pour the entire bottle of BBQ sauce over the pork. If you don't like your pulled pork to be very saucy or you want to add more sauce on your own later, then save some of the sauce. Cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 8-10 hours. When it's done bubbling away, take two forks and shred the meat. Stir and serve!

Unfortunately, the contest entry cookies did not get made yet. I spent Sunday literally hot glue-gunning craft projects for my sister's up coming wedding (yes, two girls getting married in the same year!) or figuratively glued to the TV for the Green Bay Packer game (win!) and the news on the horrible shooting at a Wisconsin Spa which shut down half the city and two hospitals. We said some extra prayers last night for all the victims and their families affected by one man's rage. If you pray, please add them to your list. If you don't, please take a moment to think of them and do something kind for someone today in tribute.

No comments:

Post a Comment