Monday, October 7, 2013

Faith-filled Friday: Just a little late...

Good morning, Crushers!

Sorry that I didn't get this posted earlier, but I had a very busy weekend! I had a house guest staying with me from Wednesday through Sunday. Kalie came up to visit from Texas (along with her mom) to see one of our good friends, Jenny, get married to the man of her dreams. It was a gorgeous service full of family, friends, faith and fall colors.

In honor of Jenny and Matt's wedding, here's another great verse about togetherness:
But Ruth replied, “Don’t urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. - Ruth 1:16
Kalie pointed out that it's a bit odd that this is actually spoken by a young widow to her mother-in-law, and yet it's used as a reading in so many weddings. Why would you want to focus on a widow on your wedding day? Aren't wives and mothers-in-law supposed to bicker and not get along?

I think what this shows is that Ruth and her late husband must have had a solid, faith-filled marriage in order for Ruth to desire to stay part of the family that embraced her. She could have returned to her own family, which doesn't seem to be a God-fearing group. Ruth 1:15 says that Naomi (the mother-in-law) urged Ruth to return to her family "and her gods". Instead, Ruth decided to turn from those gods to be faithful to God.

Kalie and I had a few long talks this past weekend, and most of them ended in amazement at how God has chosen to use our lives in ways that we did not think that they would go. I seriously doubt that Naomi ever imagined that her daughter-in-law would end up being a great-great-great-great...many more greats-grandmother to Jesus! You never know how your life will turn out.

Just as Matt and Jenny promised to be with each other through all the ups and downs of life this past Friday, they were basically saying what Ruth said to Naomi. No matter what God hands us; no matter what we face, I'm yours and I'll be yours.

God bless Matt and Jenny through their marriage!

No comments:

Post a Comment